Monday, June 30, 2008

Suggested Theme Song for Gov. Kaine

Just finished writing up a post over at RK on the major coal plant ruling in Georgia. I should be happy that it dramatically increases the likelihood the planned Wise County coal-fired power plant will be blocked. The Wise County plant's permits allow for unlimited carbon dioxide emissions, which the Georgia judge ruled are a no-no under Massachusetts vs. EPA.

But it's a lose-lose-lose situation. Wise County doesn't get the jobs. Virginia's clean energy future remains murky. And we're no closer to global warming solutions.

As for Gov. Tim Kaine, a year ago, I hoped to convince him to change his mind on the Wise County plant. But he only dug in his heels deeper. That seems to be his style. He's a brawler. He doesn't want to be persuaded - he'll show you who's boss.

Now it looks like he'll go down with the ship on Wise County. And I can't be happy about that, either. As I got to the last paragraph of that RK post thinking about Kaine's legacy, Coldplay's Viva la Vida kept playing in my head. "I used to rule the world ..."

Post a Comment