Monday, June 30, 2008

Suggested Theme Song for Gov. Kaine

Just finished writing up a post over at RK on the major coal plant ruling in Georgia. I should be happy that it dramatically increases the likelihood the planned Wise County coal-fired power plant will be blocked. The Wise County plant's permits allow for unlimited carbon dioxide emissions, which the Georgia judge ruled are a no-no under Massachusetts vs. EPA.

But it's a lose-lose-lose situation. Wise County doesn't get the jobs. Virginia's clean energy future remains murky. And we're no closer to global warming solutions.

As for Gov. Tim Kaine, a year ago, I hoped to convince him to change his mind on the Wise County plant. But he only dug in his heels deeper. That seems to be his style. He's a brawler. He doesn't want to be persuaded - he'll show you who's boss.

Now it looks like he'll go down with the ship on Wise County. And I can't be happy about that, either. As I got to the last paragraph of that RK post thinking about Kaine's legacy, Coldplay's Viva la Vida kept playing in my head. "I used to rule the world ..."

No comments: