Tuesday, August 26, 2008

My Island of Misfit Green Toys

It's not that people dump stuff on me.

It's more like I'm an orphanage for misfit green things. People want it the item to have a good home.

Case in point:

It's a menu from DC's
Sweet Green, embedded with wildflower seeds and ready for planting. A friend took one home because she thought it was cool ... but didn't want to plant it herself.

So she brought it to The Island of Misfit Green Toys. Which was fine, because The Green Miles is always happy to provide a good home.

I picked a spot outside my apartment that gets a reasonable amount of summer sun and dug a half-inch deep hole as instructed. I buried the menu and soaked the spot in water.

Is it an ideal spot? No, but that's not the point. Seed embedded paper isn't geared towards green thumbs with gardens -- it's geared towards people with a little available space.

I planted it on Sunday. No sprouts yet, but it's early. I'll let you know how it does!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's pretty exciting, I hope they come up soon!

Does your apartment have a groundskeeping staff that might mistake them for weeds?

TheGreenMiles said...

Luckily for the wildflowers, they don't weed, just mow. I tried to set them back from the edge of the grass so they don't get caught by the mower. Once a year they put down fresh mulch, but that's about it. If they come up this year, I may put up a little makeshift fence next spring, but I'm trying to keep this garden low-maintenance :)