Thursday, June 25, 2009

Note to Self: Do Not Offer Finger to Bird of Prey

I was hanging out in the Red Loft before Tuesday's Nationals-Red Sox game when a friend arrived and said, "Did you see the owl???" At first I thought, "Oh, silly city dweller. So easily amazed by a non-sparrow." Then I looked around the corner and realized it wasn't some little stuffed bird to show off to the tourists.

No, thanks to the Earth Conservation Corps, this was a live Great Horned Owl. A real bad-ass one, too. I was about to do the Colbert with the owl for our picture, then looked down and it was giving my finger the "hold still for just one sec" look. Held my ground just long enough to get a picture in.

Miles Who?

1 comment:

Andrew Clem said...

I'm surprised that the owl was not more prominently mentioned in the D.C. media. That would be very cool to see up close in an outdoor setting. It's good to know there are other D.C.-Virginia area baseball fans who are also bird enthusiasts. Too bad you were wearing the wrong team's sporting apparel! :-)