Monday, October 5, 2009

The Green Miles vs. Virginia ABC

Every time I go to a Virginia ABC store to buy liquor, they insist on giving me a plastic bag. It's against Virginia law, they tell me, to have a bottle of alcohol in public that's not covered.

This offends me not just as an environmentalist, but as a non-Puritan. So I end up doing an odd little dance with the cashier every time I go.

"My car is parked right there," I say, turning and pointing to my car visible through the glass door not 30 feet from the cash register. "I'll take my chances on not getting arrested on the five feet of sidewalk between the door and my car."

"But I have to put it in a bag," the clerk insists with a yes-it's-stupid-but-I'll-get-in-trouble-if-I-don't look.

So I get a look of flinty Chicago toughness in my eye and tell the cashier, "Then you tell them coppers there ain't a jail been built yet that can hold The Green Miles." And we both laugh as I pull the bottle out of the plastic bag and carry it out to my car.

Photo via Yelp's Avenger R.

8 comments:

Boo said...

Why not bring your own reusable bag? Wouldn't that be a win-win?

Chris said...

The owner of my neighborhood corner store in Capitol Hill basically campaigns against the city's counsel proposed 5 cent plastic bag fee with anyone that will listen.

I told it's just the future, but he thinks customers are emotional attached to free plastic bags.

Antonio said...

I have also often wondered about this silliness - especially when they unnecessarily "double-bag".

In all fairness, however, those ABC black plastic bags are some of the toughest out there and I for one tend to reuse them time and again.

TheGreenMiles said...

Boo, good suggestion! I've done that when I plan on buying a few bottles, but I think the problem is that when I'm just popping in to buy one bottle of alcohol, I don't even think to bring a bag.

And Chris, at least your store owner is being honest about the argument against any sort of bag regulations. We hear so many bogus economic arguments, but "people like free bags" is the real reason for opposition.

James Young said...

I wouldn't give this state employee too much grief. After all, it's his job, and he's merely following the ridiculous edicts of the state, to say nothing of the ridiculous notion that the state should maintain a monopoly on liquor stores.

schecky j. hornblauer said...

what happened to the quaint recyclable wino paper bags of yesteryear?

one of my first memories of mad dog was the helpful 7/11 cashier recommending a paper bag with it.

Boo said...

Don't you keep a stack of reusable grocery bags in your car? Shame on you! ~sarcasm~

betterlucktomorrow said...

... i work for virginia abc & the bags are 100% biodegradable, made from corn products. i'm suprised that the clerk ringing you up hasn't mentioned this.