Monday, August 16, 2010

Wherein I Complain About Getting a Good Deal, Again

After complaining about how cheap my flight was (compared to the costs of its pollution), I thought it only fair to complain about getting a free upgrade from Hertz.

I tried to rent a hybrid at Logan Airport, but there were none available. From any of the rental car companies. As much as conservatives hype the free market as a solution to everything, the fact that rental companies don't make hybrids available at any price is a major wart on the invisible hand. So I reserved one of the more fuel-efficient options available, a Toyota Corolla.

2008 Cadillac CTS: All-New Technology, Design and Hand-Crafted Interior
When I got to the Hertz counter, I asked if they had a Prius or another hybrid available. The woman said no, but offered me ... a minivan. No thanks, I said, I guess I'll just stick with the Corolla. "We're out of Corollas, so I've given you a Cadillac CTS," the woman said. 

It's a beautiful car & I've already gotten plenty of ribbing from my relatives. "We thought some big hotshot was pulling into the driveway. Then we said, 'Oh, it's just Miles!'" (And you wonder where I get the snark from.)

The CTS is listed at 18 miles per gallon city & 27 highway, but the car's digital display says it's actually averaging just 18.3 miles per gallon. It's a shame that every "upgrade" seems to lead to a downgrade in fuel efficiency. The last time I was upgraded, I was given an SUV. At first I thought it'd be a nice change of pace. But having to gas it up twice in a few days? Not so fun.

Wouldn't it be nice if an "upgrade" meant you'd be getting a nicer car and saving money on gas?

2 comments:

Steve Offutt said...

Last time I was "upgraded" I got them to give me a $5 discount for the extra gas I was going to have to buy. True.

Brenda said...

They should get all hybrids at rental places. That would be sweet.