- Oil companies bulldozes the pristine forest to dig up tar sands, oil mixed with dirt. Leftover sludge is dumped into "tailings ponds" where it kills thousands of birds.
- The mining & refining process releases three times the global warming pollution compared to conventional oil
- Canadian tar sands giant TransCanada is currently pressuring the Obama administration to let it build a new Keystone XL tar sands pipeline to deliver its dirty fuel to the Gulf Coast, where it would be refined & shipped with no guarantee the oil would be sold to American consumers. What would be guaranteed? Massive profits for Koch Industries.
- Homeowners along the proposed pipeline route have already gotten a menacing letter from TransCanada warning eminent domain could be used to seize their homes if they don't sell out now (where's the Tea Party eminent domain anger on this?)
- Here's the kicker: The tar sands pipeline would actually increase gas prices in the Midwest
Talking Points Memo sold a banner, the wallpaper AND an inset ad above its top story:
FireDogLake sold TransCanada its banner to go along with not one but three BP inset ads on its front page:
Even the Center for American Progress - a progressive nonprofit - has a BP inset ad on ThinkProgress.org:
Worth mentioning that Huffington Post right now doesn't have any ads from TransCanada or BP. If you see any other TransCanada ads on progressive blogs I've missed, email me.
As a friend told me today, "When you're spending $11 billion on a house, loose change can buy a lot of wallpaper." What I don't understand is why progressive blogs think it's OK to cash checks from people who make their money by destroying our air, water & wildlife.
Before your blood stops boiling, be sure to ask the Obama administration to say no to tar sands.