Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Blogs as Fundraisers?

I saw on CNN today that Kevin Bacon has launched a new fundraising site for charities, called SixDegrees.org, in partnership with NetworkForGood.org. The name and theme of the site, of course, plays off the infamous Kevin Bacon game. He's signed up some pretty big names, including Bradley Whitford, Nicole Kidman and Ricky Gervais. After only a few minutes of clicking around the site, I made my own "charity badge" for Arlingtonians for a Clean Environment and put it up on the right side of this page.

So now the question is, will anyone give money to an organization just because they like the blog that recommends it?

Personally, much as I'd love to add a new revenue stream for ACE as we try to offer improved health benefits for our employees (both of them) ... I'm skeptical. But it's an interesting experiment, and it's free, so I thought I'd give it a try. I'd love to be proven wrong!

Coming tomorrow ... my State of the Union review.

No comments: