Monday, February 5, 2007

Stunning Upset: Organic Coffee Beats Starbucks

A major milestone for organic food this week, as Newman's Own Organic Coffee beat Starbucks in independent Consumer Reports taste tests! Dunkin' Donuts (not enough flavor) and Burger King (like making love in a canoe -- f'n close to water) were also-rans.

I've always been a big fan of Newman's Own products. The food tastes just as good, it's the same price (strangely, the salsa is much CHEAPER than its non-organic competitors at Harris Teeter), it's organic, and the proceeds go to good causes. Why NOT buy it?

In my experience, most organic products are of the same or better quality than their standard counterparts. My only negative experience has been with organic wine -- just not as tasty. What's your favorite organic product and why?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe your thoughts on Organic Wine has something to do with the amount of stress that they do or don't receive. I do know that stressed vines produce larger crops I don't however know the effect of stress on their flavor.

See: http://news.curiouscook.com/2006/08/organic-vs-conventional-agriculture.html

Anonymous said...

I find that whenever a classically "unhealthy" food has an organic alternative I feel like I am eating healthier. Favorite example: chicken nuggets. Ian's brand tastes lighter and doesn't have the chemicals that you would find in they Tyson's or similar brand.

I was surprsed to compare Wolfgang Puck's regular vs. organic soups. The organic variety had a ton more fat and also was just as high in salt as the organic type. I was disappointed but I guess I should not be surprised.

Debbie said...

Always had good luck with organic coffee. Still working a bit on organic chocolate. Organic produce usually a winner - sometimes they don't look as pretty, but that's how nature works, isn't it?

Not too surprised about the organic soups. Canned soups are terribly processed anyway and not a very good representation of the value of choosing organic.
Debbie
www.organic-food-and-drink.com