Wednesday, August 29, 2007

How The Green Miles Became a Miller Lite Drinker

When I'm drinking beer at the ballpark, as long as it's cold, I don't really care whether it's Bud Light, Coors Light, or Miller Lite. (Of course, the Nationals have shown an amazing ability to keep me from drinking beer altogether.)

But recently Miller Lite became my cheapo beer of choice, thanks to the
Climate Counts scorecard. It ranks companies by product type based on how they:

- Measured their climate footprint
- Reduced their impact on global warming
- Supported (or suggest intent to block) progressive climate legislation
- Publicly disclosed their climate actions clearly and comprehensively
Miller scored highest among major American breweries, beating out Anheuser-Busch (which includes Bud, Michelob Ultra, and Rolling Rock). Molson Coors (which includes Heineken, Corona, Foster's, Keystone, and Killian's Irish Red) finished dead last.

At home I'll still lean towards organic beer like
Wolaver's or locally-produced beer like Yuengling and Victory. But when I'm at the ballpark, it's nice to know I can be a better climate consumer, putting my beer drinking dollars towards a company doing more than others to stop global warming.

Will buying Miller Lite save the planet? No. Especially not at RFK Stadium, where there's no recycling. So if I'm heading straight home from the game, I'll bring my empties home with me (where there's
also no recycling, but there's a recycling center nearby). Every little bit helps, right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I came to read about how Miller Lite goes down easier when playing Beer Pong or something of the sort.

I was inspired to recycle when I was at the Kokua Festival in Honolulu this past April. Jack Johnson reminded me to "reduce, reuse, recycle."