Sunday, March 9, 2008

Harris Teeter Foils My Snark Yet Again

I was all set to do a post railing against Harris Teeter for carrying a dizzying array of organic food without carrying a single organic option of one of The Green Miles' favorite foods -- ice cream.

Then I was shopping tonight and for the first time saw this:

Not only did they have four different varieties of organic ice cream, but it was very competitively priced -- a quart for $4.99.

I thought about getting some for a taste-test, but I'm actually willing to give it The Green Miles Seal of Approval without one. If I'm dropping $4 for a pint of Ben & Jerry's or Haagen-Dazs, I expect it to be excellent. But when it comes to the Big Three flavors (vanilla/chocolate/strawberry), I'm probably just looking for something to a la mode an apple pie. Volume does the trick just fine, and $5 for a quart compares well to Edys, store brands, etc.

That's the only organic ice cream available at my local Harris Teeter, but Breyers, Ben & Jerry's, and Stonyfield also make organics. There are also several smaller brands.

It's nice to know there are options since dairy is one of the best ways to go organic!

2 comments:

Googla Monster said...

Miles - Harris Teeter is great about listening to their customers.
http://www.harristeeter.com/about_us/your_voice.aspx

I haven't done so yet, but I plan to complain about all the food items that are in hard plastic containers, most that is numbers that can't be recycled. Other than that, I adore HT.

Anonymous said...

Harris Teeter is always running decent sales so smart shoppers will be able to make a killing as far as saving money. Check out my site www.champagnesurge.org

Will definitely check back for your blogs ... seems interesting.