Monday, September 22, 2008

World Carfree Day 2008 Hits a Snag on the Orange Line

Let's give this one the Ms. Jackson Memorial "You Can Plan a Pretty Picnic but You Can't Predict the Weather" Award.

It wasn't such a great World Carfree Day 2008 on the Orange Line this morning. As I was waiting at Ballston to catch a train out to West Falls Church, I noticed the other side of the platform was much more crowded than usual with people waiting for a train into DC.

Sure enough, when I got to work, several friends instant messaged me to say that a broken down train between Rosslyn and Foggy Bottom had slowed their commute into DC by as much as 40 minutes.

Can we finally give Metro the dedicated funding it needs to keep the system in working order?

3 comments:

Angeline Cione said...

Seriously!!! I read that Metro is so inefficient as is that it loses money during non-rush hour and has a pretty decent carbon footprint too. Maybe it's time for an upgrade.

TheGreenMiles said...

Metro's not supposed to make money -- it's supposed to save us money on gas, parking, and car maintenance, which it usually does quite well. I've never heard Metro has much of a per-rider carbon footprint, where did you hear that?

Angeline Cione said...

I'm a bad reporter...I read an editorial that referenced the study but I never looked up the study and I have no clue where to find it. A quick google search didn't yield any good results. If I come across it again, I'll pass it along.