Friday, November 21, 2008

Hey, Chevron: Hasn't Irony Already Suffered Enough?

Yesterday, the League of Conservation Voters rolled out a fantastic satire of Chevron's latest greenwashing campaign. The ads are everywhere, especially in DC's Metro system.

The most obnoxious of Chevron's actual ads: "I will take my golf clubs out of the trunk." Gee, thanks, Judge Smails. Now your Porsche 911 will get 16 miles per gallon instead of 15.9 miles per gallon. Consider the planet saved!

But my friend Melanie just passed along the most ridiculous Chevron ad yet:


Yes, that's an ad urging us to reuse more.

On the side of a single-use coffee cup sleeve.

Which ends up in a landfill after a single use 99 percent of the time.

Chevron, are you trying to put The Green Miles out of business??? You have now sunk to such depths of self-parody as to be beyond third-party parody.

How am I supposed to snark that which cannot be snarked? This is simply unsnarkable.

2 comments:

Rosie said...

I dunno, you seem to have done a good job snarking nonetheless! ;) The scary thing is, many people are going to think Chevron and the other oil companies really care!

Anonymous said...

Please don't give up now, Miles. More than ever, we need you to keep us informed as well as amused (it really helps to have a laugh before jumping in to try to stem the disastrous tide of environmental evil which continues to flourish--whoa, I think I get a prize for mixing metaphors on Monday morning). I agree with Rosie that many people will miss the irony, so keep pointing it out!